- American immigration policies will prop up private prisons for the forseeable future. Updated 1h ago
- If priviate prisons save money, it's because they conscript prisoners into effective slave labor.
- Holding innocent children in a converted medium-security adult prison isn't smart.
- The first known depiction of a witch on a broom is from the 15th century. Updated 10h ago
- The headline you've been craving: "I accidentally joined a cult after leaving another cult."
- "Spanking Jesus" is a real, complicated, erotic, religious thing, and not the easiest way to experience God.
- Fact: The "Hillary treatment" extends to Hong Kong. Fiction: Coco Austin is the president of Croatia. Updated 7h ago
- Pussy Riot weighs in on the US presidential election with a perfectly timed ode to the ladyflower.
- Wonder Woman is now an ambassador for the United Nations, and lots of people have a problem with that.
- Dead people with ballot cards—aka, "zombie voters"—have scared American voters since the Civil War. Updated 1d ago
- FYI the American presidential election is not rigged.
- What happens if nobody wins? Role-playing a legitimate Constitutional crisis in 1980.
- The Harry Potter books were a translator's nightmare. Updated 10h ago
- When American companies try to rebrand overseas, what's the best way to translate their names?
- Why Trump’s hyperbolic speech fascinates linguists and drives foreign journalists crazy.
The Adolescent Scene
Dribbling in the Dark
What it’s like to be 14 in a new school, a new city away from home—and the wrong ethnicity in a divided country.
Where Death Lies
Each year, the Japanese government expects dozens of people to die from eating ill-prepared blowfish, and yet the dish remains a delicacy.
The 2016 Tournament of Books
Relive the action of the 12th Annual Morning News Tournament of Books—or any of the previous 11—presented by Field Notes.
- The most dangerous cup of coffee in the world involves machete fights. Updated 1d ago
- Watch a robot eat haute cuisine chips and dip from the world's best restaurant.
- "Drinking parity" achieved: Women now drink as much booze as men.
- Frank Serpico says we need to break the police brotherhood. Updated 1d ago
- Police unions are frequently segregated, and frequently prefer to stay that way.
- Criminologist finds little research into police unions and their effects on societies and cities—but nearly all of the research says they're bad.